On The
Brink
Our
Story
When
we were married in August of 1980 we never dreamed that we would find
our selves on the brink of divorce but we did. This is our story of
how we have moved from that place to where we are today.
We
began our marriage as all young couples do starry eyed and completely
in love, thinking that life would be perfect from here on out. We
had gotten married in the Temple and were doing all the right things
in trying to keep the commandments. We started a family and
began raising our children in the gospel. But then after 9 years of
what seemed like an almost perfect marriage very slowly and most unpredictably Satan began to use his favorite tool, a wedge, in
our marriage, and 12 years later we were faced with mistrust, a
separation and infidelity.
(Husband)
When we were first married I was a good man, husband and father.
Then as trying experiences occurred in our lives I let them turn my
life away from God. I turned to alcohol, going to clubs and ended
having an affair and being dis-fellowshipped.
As
I went through the repentance process the fog of spiritual and mental
illness began to lift and I began to long for a change of heart.
After 10 years of seeing different counselors and trying different
things we were still struggling.
(Wife)
Through all of this I developed a great deal of mistrust and
basically built a very huge wall around my heart so that I couldn't
get hurt again. As my husband tried to figure out how to over come
and change things I also began to start filling like every thing that
had happened was my fault. I began to think if only I had done
things differently, had been prettier, hadn't nagged, the list went
on and on. Deep inside I knew I still loved my husband but I felt
that things could never be right again. In desperation I finally
apologized for all the things I had done wrong.
(Husband)
When my wife began apologizing she was really, really upset and it
scared me to death. I didn't know how much she was hurting and I
didn't know what she might do. So I went and asked our Bishop if he
would help get us into counseling, which he did. I think at this
time the Lord placed Cody Hawes in our lives. I think when we met
Cody I was finally at a place where I could finally make permanent
change of heart rather than just going through the motions.
I
learned about the 3 P's as Cody calls them: Preside, Provide and
Protect. I learned that as I started focusing on these 3 things my
heart began to turn to my wife and no longer focus on myself. As I
did that I saw how my wife began to be more happy and I started to
remember how special my wife is and how great it made me feel to make
my wife feel good. I started to see my wife as a rose bush that had
never got proper care... a rosebush that needed to be well cared for in order to produce the most beautiful flowers. As I started to think about my wife
and not myself I began to pray for her happiness and that in turn
helped me learn to talk with Heavenly Father and develop a closer
relationship with Him.
(Wife)
As we started meeting with Cody, he helped me see that Satan had
developed a very strong tool that I would use on myself all the
time. Any time my husband would do anything that was remotely like
things in the past, it didn't matter how small, it would send me back
to feeling like nothing was every going to change. Cody taught me
two things that have helped me to change how I respond and these in
turn have I think helped me get closer to husband again. The first
is “ write a letter to God” when ever something comes up and
begins to drag me back to the dark place that I was in I should write
this to my Heavenly Father and ask for his help. One of these
letters I brought and let Cody read and he had my husband read
it. My husband told me that reading that had helped him better
understand where I was coming from. The second thing that Cody
taught me was “ A Teflon Mind” any time one of the triggers
would happen I needed to not let it stick to me and start dragging me
back, but rather take a good look at it and see if it really was like
the old stuff or just Satan trying to drag me back.
After
5 months of meeting with Cody, we each have tools and knowledge that
will help use strengthen or marriage. We also are having daily
scripture study and prayers together which helps us to become closer
to the Lord and in turn closer to each other.
This
is our story and it still is being written with the hope that the end
will be even better than the beginning.
Cody Hawes MSW, LCSW works for Life Changing Services and the Sons of Helaman program. His areas of expertise include Marital Therapy, Addiction Recovery, Mental Health Therapy and assisting others in achieving life goals and true potential. If you would like an appointment with Cody you can call 1-877-HERO-877
Cody Hawes MSW, LCSW works for Life Changing Services and the Sons of Helaman program. His areas of expertise include Marital Therapy, Addiction Recovery, Mental Health Therapy and assisting others in achieving life goals and true potential. If you would like an appointment with Cody you can call 1-877-HERO-877
No comments:
Post a Comment