“Writing on the ground”
I was once asked, “Other than Christ, his apostles and writers of each New Testament book, if you could spend a day with someone from New Testament times, who would it be?” That was a really tough question because I love all of their perspectives and testimonies. From the Lad who gave what he had to feed the 5000 to the Pharisees and Sadducees who made it their mission to catch the Savior in error.
So, let’s just start with one. The
woman who was “taken in adultery” and brought before Christ by the scribes and
Pharisees to be stoned.
In the 8th Chapter of John
it states “They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the
very act. Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but
what sayest thou? This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse
him.
But Jesus stooped down, and with his
finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. So when they
continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He
that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
And again he stooped down, and
wrote on the ground. And they which heard it, being convicted by their
own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last:
and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.
When Jesus had lifted up himself,
and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine
accusers? Hath no man condemned thee? She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said
unto her, neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.” (John 8:4-11)
I would love to hear the
first-hand account from this relieved woman. I would love to hear the
background that put her in this predicament. What was the circumstance of her
family? What led her to the moment before she was brought before Christ? Was she
forced into an uncomfortable situation by a person of status? Maybe even a
scribe or a Pharisee?
There are so many things I would
ask her about the moments before Christ gave one of his many perfect judgments
while foiling any Pharisaical plans. What were her thoughts and feelings as he
was writing on the ground; as he, with great patience, did not bend to the Scribe’s
and Pharisee’s request for instant condemnation of this woman? How did it feel
when she received no condemnation from him but Godly instruction of “Go and sin
no more”?
What an amazing perspective she’d
be able to give of her interaction with Christ. Now, even greater…we can
capture so many nuggets of knowledge from our Savior through this experience.
Notice how Christ was in no hurry and he did not feel pressure from these
chiefs of Israel at the time. Let’s focus on what he did to give out his just
judgment of this afflicted woman…he “wrote on the ground, as though he heard
them not.”
I do not know what he was writing
but I like to think he was writing a letter to God or… he may have been
communing with his Father and by writing on the ground distracted those around
him. Anyway, I believe he was in authentic
communion with his Father. Most of the time we may tend to focus on his
legendary judgment, “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a
stone at her.” But, I invite everyone to ponder the benefits of communion with
Heaven when any type of pressure is mounting. And what it will allow us to
accomplish when encountered with huge decisions or… when the adversary is
tempting us to judge other mortals harshly.
One more thing I’d like you to
consider, after guidance from heaven and a verdict so perfect, “again he stooped down and wrote on the
ground.” As a conclusion to this experience, I believe he wrote a note to
his father and entered into a prayer of gratitude for his victory. He acknowledged
his father for making him an instrument to rescue a daughter in need and
causing those in attendance to ponder the beam in their eye.
Please take some time to reflect
on the victories you have because heaven’s power was prevalent in your life and
please take some time to “write on the ground” a bit more to increase
understanding and increase your powerful influence. It will fashion more
friends and build God’s kingdom around you. There’s no wonder why Christ was followed
by multitudes.
Cody Hawes MSW, LCSW
lifechangingservices.org
Life Changing Services Clinician
1-801-721-0144
No comments:
Post a Comment